A household fire extinguisher can save lives and reduce property damage by extinguishing smaller fires before they get out of hand. This is why every home should have at least one fire extinguisher per floor, including one mounted near the kitchen.
Also, it is important that the occupants of the home know how to operate a fire extinguisher properly. Household fire extinguishers should be “ABC” rated, which means they are effective on Class A, Class B, and Class C fires.
Class A refers to common combustibles such as paper, wood, fabric, rubber, and most plastics. Class B fires are fueled by flammable liquids such as grease, oil, gasoline, kerosene, or oil-based paint (never use water on a Class B fire as it could cause the fire to spread). Class C involves live electrical fires, such as those involving powered appliances and machinery, fuse panels, circuit breakers, electrical outlets or wiring (never use water on a Class C fire as it could result in an electrical shock).
Regardless of the type or size of the fire, always call the fire department before attempting to extinguish the fire yourself.